Demolition crew moves in on toilets

By Jeremy Sollars

The Warwick Town Hall toilets are all but a historic memory, with a demolition crew moving onto the site this morning, Monday 26 March.
Despite widespread community opposition the toilets will be nothing more than a pile of rubble by lunchtime, with the Southern Downs Regional Council remaining true to its word that the toilets must go, having deemed them an eyesore, unsafe, not meeting modern disabled access standards and being prone to vandalism.
The toilets will be replaced with three RV parking spaces.
The decision to demolish the toilets came last year after the Queensland Heritage Council refused community requests to include the toilets in the Warwick Town Hall heritage-listing ‘footprint’.
Mayor Tracy Dobie has said the toilets are “a prime location for crime and vandalism (and) aren’t accessible by people with a disability”.
“There are several public toilet facilities located within close proximity, including in Grafton Street, as well as amenities available during business hours in the Town Hall, across the council carpark near the Art Gallery, within Rose City Shoppingworld and at Leslie Park,” the mayor said in a recent statement.
Warwick firm Roulston Builders won the contract to demolish the toilets. 

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.