Back to back champions

Maryvale Condmaine players celebrate after making it back to back premierships success. They defeated Colts in the battle for Warwick Cricket''s Condamine Cup ''A'' Grade premiership on Saturday at Slade Oval.

By Casey O'Connor

Maryvale Condamine made it back to back premierships last weekend in the Warwick Condamine Cup A Grade competition.

Maryvale continued their domination of the competition with another fine performance in Saturday’s grand-final.

It was satisfying victories for Maryvale, who despite having taken all before them in the past couple of seasons have not had things go all their own way this season.

Like most other teams in the comp they have had their issues with player availability and injury this season.

Once again it was a great team effort but the win was definitely spearheaded by a wonderful bowling performance from Tom Bourke.

The game had to be delayed for over an hour due to the wet condition of the bowler’s run up area but no-one was complaining about the overnight rain.

The defending premiers batted first and set up a decent but gettable run chase for Colts. The Maryvale top order all contributed. Jason Steketee (48) top scored. It was another fine innings to close out a good season with the bat. Opener Andrew Ryan also played well finishing with 42. The father and son combination of Michael and Mitch Bourke proved Lucy Bourke is not the only talented member of that family. Mitch outscored his father. He finished with 37, Michael 35. Colts bowlers Mitch Watson, Alastair Costello and Morgan Bourke each took a pair.

At the completion of their 40 overs Maryvale were 8/218. Colts looking for 219 for a premiership victory.

Maryvale had early success with the ball and with the score at 4/54 Maryvale looked to have the upper and on their way to another Premiership. The main obstacle was the possibility of a big batting performance from John Cleary.

Cleary certainly had a very different idea when he joined Kev Poole at the wicket.

In an innings typical of his batting style Cleary was never going to die wondering and neither were the Colts supporters as he made his intentions clear from the start.

There were some nervous moments for Maryvale when Cleary was put down by Tom Bourke who dropped a relatively easy catch. Cleary smashed nine sixes on his way to a top score of 71 before Tom Bourke was able to make amends holding on tight to a skied ball off the bowling of his cousin Mitch Bourke. The partnership between Cleary and Poole of 107 had steadied the ship and put Colts, within reach of the required total. The equation 39 runs from 36 deliveries.

Colts captain Shaun O’Leary joined Poole at the wicket. Poole found himself back in the club house shortly after; becoming another Tom Bourke victim when he was caught behind by glove man Pat Gordon. It was a gutsy performance from Poole who had injured his back while fielding in the first innings.

O’Leary’s wicket was the next to fall. Colts were hoping the tail would wag but unfortunately the final four wickets fell cheaply and they were all out 16 runs shy of their target. All out for 193.

Maryvale captain Paul Bourke was full of praise for the work of his young bowlers Tom and Mitch Bourke who bowled well in partnership at the end of a tense match and of course combined to dismiss the dangerous Cleary which Bourke righty said was the turning point of the game.

Tom Bourke figures of 4/40 and for an all-round excellent performance was awarded the Tom and Margaret Walsh medal for player of the final.

At the presentations following the game there was some consolation for Cleary who was named Warwick Player of the Year.

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.