The Southern Downs Regional Council has issued a statement about newly-announced COVID-19 restrictions applying to our council area and the wider Darling Downs region from tomorrow, Monday 31 August.
In the statement – issued earlier today, Sunday 30 August – a spokeswoman said “our community and the wider Queensland community have done an exceptional job at slowing the spread of COVID-19”.
“We need to ask our residents to once again step up and help us prevent transmission throughout our state,” the spokeswoman said.
“From 8am tomorrow, Monday 31 August, the Southern Downs Local Government Area will be included in the list of regions currently required to implement tougher COVID-19 restrictions.
“For residents this means that gatherings of no more than 10 people will be allowed in one home or outdoors.
“This total includes the number of family members that reside in the home.
“Businesses can still operate, adhering to their COVID safe plans.
“Visits to aged care, disability accommodation services and hospitals are also limited to protect our most vulnerable.”
More detail on the restrictions here – https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/current-status/urgent-covid-19-update
The new restrictions are based on contact tracing information from Queensland Health relating to Toowoomba on Sunday 16 August.
Those details have been given as –
• Sunday 16 August – The Southern Hotel Toowoomba, 8.15am – 10am
• Sunday 16 August – Queens Park Markets East Toowoomba, 10am – 11am
Queensland Health says anyone who has been to these locations at the times specified should monitor their health and if they develop any COVID-19 symptoms, even mild, get tested.
There are no current COVID-19 cases in the Southern Downs council area or in Toowoomba, or in the wider Darling Downs Health region centred on Toowoomba.
In the council statement today Mayor Vic Pennisi said local businesses throughout the region “set an exemplary standard of service while prioritising safety”.
“I am so proud of how our local businesses have adapted, continued to trade and change the way they deliver services to their customers,” Cr Pennisi said.
“It’s a real testament to their resilience and determination.
“Residents responded to the initial outbreak of COVID-19 in Queensland well and council is anticipating great cooperation from the community as these new restrictions come into place.
“Our community has shown incredible dedication to adhering to restrictions and their upkeep of hygiene practices as well.
“I am really confident that our residents will step up, accept their responsibilities as part of our community, and will band together as we persevere through.
“I have also seen incredible compassion from people as they take care of our most vulnerable residents.
“Simple acts like remembering to social distance, staying home if you’re sick, and adhering to restrictions help protect our elderly, our medically vulnerable, and our frontline workers.
“I appreciate the work everyone has put in so far, and the work we will all put in going forward.
“Thank you and we will get through this together.”