By Jeremy Sollars
The Southern Downs Regional Council says it has not allocated any funds for culvert works on the river crossings in the Condamine Gorge in the draft budget for 2020-2021 but is continuing to consult the community over the issue.
Controversy over the future of the crossings on Condamine River Road through the Gorge near Killarney continues, with some local property owners having advocated for the construction of concrete culverts over the crossings to improve vehicular access for Gorge residents.
Other Gorge residents remain adamant the crossings should be left in their natural state due to the environmental sensitivity of the Gorge. The popularity of the Gorge with four wheel drive enthusiasts from across South East Queensland is an added issue, with some concerned about the damage those vehicles create, even though such visitors serve as a boost to the Killarney area economy.
The Free Times asked the council for an update on the Gorge crossings issue, with a spokeswoman this week saying the council “has not allocated funds in the 2020/2021 Budget for any major works such as culverts along the Condamine River Road”.
“Council continues to liaise closely with all stakeholders and property owners along the road, and is currently arranging individual meetings in the coming weeks with these parties,” the spokeswoman said this week.
“Once the feedback is collated and considered, the next step will be to present a report to Council with a suggested way forward for this unique and special region.”
The 2020-2021 council budget is yet to be finalised – community consultation on the draft budget closed last week – with councillors expected to adopt the final budget on Tuesday 30 June.