By Jeremy Sollars
Lamb producers are being encouraged to prepare their entries for the 2019 Warwick Show and Rodeo Society Prime Lamb Carcass Competition, being held from Wednesday 9 to Saturday 12 October.
Numbers through the Warwick weekly sheep sale continue to hold strong despite the drought and demand for good quality finished lambs for both the domestic butcher trade and the export trade remains high.
Live weights have been adjusted slightly downwards for this year’s Prime Lamb competition, reflecting weather conditions and current buyer requirements. Lambs will be transported from the Warwick Saleyards by Frasers Livestock Transport to Carey Brothers Yangan abattoir for processing, with both firms providing their services free of charge.
There’s no limit for the number of entries per class.
Carcasses can be inspected at Carey Brothers abattoir from 9am to 10.30am on Saturday 12 October, followed by a free BBQ courtesy of Carey Brothers and GR Prime Lamb and Pork. All with an interest in the industry are welcome at the inspection and BBQ – you don’t need to be a competitor!
Entries for the Prime Lamb competition close at 3pm on Friday 4 October and entrants once again have a variety of options over four classes –
• Class 1 – Single Lamb – 40-45KG , live weight
• Class 2 – Single Lamb – 45.1KG+, live weight
• Class 3 – Pen of Three Lambs – 40-45KG, live weight
• Class 4 – Pen of Three Lambs – 45.1kg+, live weight
Overall awards in 2019 will be as follows –
• CHAMPION SINGLE CARCASS LAMB – To be selected from classes 1 & 2. Trophy and sash donated by Warwick Credit Union.
• RESERVE CHAMPION SINGLE CARCASS LAMB – To be selected from classes 1 & 2. Trophy and Sash donated by Warwick Watchmakers & Jewellers.
• CHAMPION PEN OF CARCASS LAMBS – To be selected from classes 3 & 4. Trophy and Sash donated by Riverina Australia Pty Ltd.
• RESERVE CHAMPION PEN OF CARCASS LAMBS – To be selected from classes 3 & 4. Trophy and Sash donated by Bellevue Grazing Company.
• LAMB WITH THE HIGHEST DRESSING PERCENTAGE – Sponsored by Leslie Lamb Pty Ltd.
• HOOF JUDGE’S SELECTION – If a live lamb from Classes 1 or 2 is judged as best entry and wins a first place in the carcass section of Classes 1 or 2, the entrant will receive a $200 jackpot bonus. Sponsored by Freestone Valley Dorpers. If a single live lamb from Classes 3 or 4 is judged as best entry and is one of a winning entry of the carcass section of Classes 3 or 4, the entrant will receive a $100 bonus. Sponsored by Ray White Livestock.
• MOST ENTRIES FROM AN AGENT – The Agent submitting the most entries will receive a Certificate.
Lamb weighing will be at the Warwick Municipal Saleyards commencing at 8am on Wednesday 9 October. The earlier start time is to allow more time for assessment of lambs ‘on the hoof’. Lambs will also be individually live-weighed prior to processing at Carey Brothers abattoir.
• Chief Steward – Joe Browne
• Carcass Judge – Greg Carey
• Hoof Judge (bonus prizes) – Pat McMahon
Entry fees – Single entries, $5+GST; Pens of 3, $15+GST (fee deducted from sale proceeds by your agent).
• For a copy of the schedule and entry forms visit the Warwick Show and Rodeo Society office at the Warwick Showgrounds or call the office on 4661 9060, or email email@example.com, or contact your preferred livestock agent…