Aged care facilities across the Southern Downs and Granite Belt are compliant with current standards, having met the vast majority of operating criteria as assessed under the most recent audits conducted by the federal Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission.
Aged care has been in the national media spotlight in recent months following the forced evacuation in July of more than 70 elderly and frail residents from Gold Coast nursing home Earle Haven after a business dispute between the home’s owner and sub-contractor resulted in its sudden closure.
Earle Haven has since been referred to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, established in October 2018.
Audit records publicly searchable on the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission website show care in facilities across the Southern Downs and Granite Belt regions meets the Commission’s “expected outcomes” in almost all cases.
Churches of Christ Care Warwick Aged Care Service was audited on 17 June 2019 and was at that time directed to make improvements to residents’ medication management to “ensure adequate supplies of prescribed medication” and was given until 26 August to address the issue.
The Service otherwise met the 44 “expected outcomes” of its audit and has been accredited until 8 August 2022, with aged care audits conducted on a three-yearly basis.
How other services fared…
• Akooramak Care of Older Persons – audited 29 September 2016, met 44 of 44 expected outcomes, accredited until 23 December 2019
• Leslie Place Aged Persons Hostel (Killarney Memorial Aged Care) – audited 5 December 2018, met 44 of 44 expected outcomes, accredited until 24 March 2022
• The Oaks Residential Aged Care Facility (Warwick Hospital) – audited 18 April 2018, met 44 of 44 expected outcomes, accredited until 21 July 2021
• Southern Cross Care Allora – Homestead – audited 28 September 2016, met 44 of 44 expected outcomes, accredited until 24 December 2019
• Southern Cross Care Allora – audited 6 October 2016, met 44 of 44 expected outcomes, accredited until 24 December 2019
• Churches of Christ Care Stanthorpe Aged Care Service – audited 28 March 2019, met 44 of 44 expected outcomes, accredited until 30 May 2021