By Jeremy Sollars
A public information session on the Southern Downs Regional Council draft budget for 2017-’18 will be held tonight, Tuesday 18 April, at the Warwick Town Hall from 6pm to 7pm.
The session will be an opportunity for residents to give their feedback to councillors and council officers on the draft budget, with other sessions planned across the region up until the feedback period closes on Wednesday 10 May.
Mayor Tracy Dobie has said the draft budget is “consistent with the long-term financial forecast” with a 3.4 per cent rise across the general rate and the utility charges for water, wastewater and waste collection and recycling.
“The good news is that the draft budget forecasts a moderate operating surplus of $399,000 as well as a further reduction of council’s debt by around $1.9-$2.0 million,” Cr Dobie said after the budget was released on Monday 10 April.
The draft budget is available for viewing on council’s website – www.sdrc.qld.gov.au – which includes the capital works program, long-term financial plan, fees and charges, and the operational budget.
Feedback on the draft budget can be submitted either via the online feedback form on the council’s website or by completing paper copies which will be available at the information sessions.
Budget publication information session details …
* Warwick Town Hall, Palmerin Street, Warwick Tuesday 18 April, 6pm-7pm;
* Stanthorpe Council Chambers, Administration Building, 61 Marsh Street, Stanthorpe, Thursday 27 April, 6pm-7pm;
* Allora Community Hall, 55 Herbert Street, Allora, Wednesday 3 May, 6pm-7pm;
* Killarney Senior Citizens Centre, 1 Ailanthus Street, Killarney, Monday 8 May, 6pm-7pm; and
* Wallangarra School of Arts, Merinda Street, Wallangarra, Tuesday 9 May, 6pm-7pm.